Apprenticeship Program (NETAP)
National Employability Through Apprenticeship Program (NETAP) is a Public Private Partnership of Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, CII, and NSDC under the National Employability Enhancement Mission of the Ministry of HRD (AICTE). It will help unemployed youth to build skills through Learning by doing and Learning while earning along with providing them with access to practical skills.
- Youth Unemployability is a growing challenge because 10 lac youth will enter the labour force every month for the next 20 years
- Apprentices are a powerful vehicle for improving employability because of learning-by-doing and learning-while-earning
- India has only 3 lac apprentices (Germany has 3 million, Japan has 10 million, and China has 20 million)
- India has only 25,000 employers appointing apprentices. UK has 2 lac and one state of Australia (Queensland) has 26,000.
- The Apprentice Act of 1961 mandates that every employer appoint
apprentices but it is rigid, unevenly implemented, and ineffective.
- A Public Private Partnership of CII, and NSDC under the National Employability Enhancement Mission of the Ministry of HRD (AICTE)
- Structured to overcome the current challenges of the Apprenticeship Act
- A NETAP apprenticeship qualifies for credit towards certificates/diplomas/degrees offered online by Teamlease Skills University (TLSU)
- Proposes to appoint 2 lac apprentices every year for the next 10 years. At peak capacity, it will be the world’s largest apprenticeship program.
CASE FOR EMPLOYERS
- Building a pipeline for bottom of pyramid hiring.
- Clear legal structure to take candidates for a test drive with no obligation to hire
- Possible lower attrition given apprenticeship credit and degree connectivity
- Single window for national compliance.
- Stipends paid qualify as CSR spend; do well and do good.
- Trainees can be appointed for flexible durations of 3 to 24 months.
- Trainees can be appointed in any trade or function at any location in India.
- Trainees are paid a consolidate stipend with no deductions that must at least be equal to the applicable unskilled minimum wage (it can be higher).
- All trainees will be enrolled in a free 200 hour online course for soft skills, English and computers. They can further enroll voluntarily or via the employer for other TLSU certificate/diploma/associate degree courses delivered online.